Things to Do
Orchard House is nestled in the farm country of Granville Township, minutes from the charming village of Granville and convenient to a variety of attractions in the Licking County and Central Ohio area. Here are ten things to do while you are staying with us:
- Experience small town charm: Established in 1805 by families from Massachusetts and Connecticut, the Village of Granville was designed to resemble a New England town. Explore the shops and restaurants lining Broadway and around the village, enjoy the Farmer’s Market held on Saturdays May to October or other festivals and events held year round.
- Enjoy culture and learning : Denison University, an independent, undergraduate liberal arts college of 2,100 provides a rich center for culture and learning on its beautiful campus nestled on a hill above the village. Denison hosts distinguished speakers, art exhibits and cultural performances all year round, including the Vail Series.
- Learn about ancient peoples: Throughout the area, historic mounds, including Alligator and Infirmary Mounds as well as the Great Circle Earthworks in nearby Newark, are believed to have been built thousands of years before the arrival of European settlers to Ohio. These interesting sites offer a fascinating window into Ohio’s ancient history.
- Work on your stroke: Golf is abundant in the region, with the opportunity to play the Granville, Raccoon International, Willow Run, St. Albans, The New Albany Links and Longaburger Golf Courses. You’re par can only improve on these renowned courses!
- Rethink basketry: The Longaberger Homestead, located in nearby Dresden, Ohio, is home to the Basketmaking Experience, factory store, and original homestead of Dave Longaberger. Learn how to make one of these gorgeous baskets or take a tour of the factory and discover for yourself what makes each basket distinctively unique. On your way, drive by the Longaberger home office, which is built in the shape of a basket!
- Have an afternoon shopping trip or a night on the town: Orchard House is only about 30 minutes from Easton Town Center, a shopping and dining destination which caters over 21 million visitors each year. In an open atmosphere guests can visit the most popular shops of today and share a cocktail or delicious meal among friends. In a few minutes more, you can experience downtown Columbus’s dynamic neighborhoods such as the Short North, Arena District and German Village, while easily returning to the quite calm of a nights sleep on the farm.
- Commune with nature: Dawes Arboretum, located in Newark, Ohio, contains over 15,000 living plants and offers nature tours throughout the grounds on numerous walking trails including the Japanese garden and Azalea Glen. Granville and the surrounding area is also home to numerous trails, including the T.J. Evans Recreational Trail to enjoy a great hike, horseback or biking experience. A short drive away, Buckeye Lake, a 3,300 acre lake and Ohio’s first state park, is home numerous to fishing, boating, and hiking opportunities. Or go on a natural adventure with Valley Zipline Tours in Lancaster (available Mar-Nov, guests of Orchard House receive a discount, just ask us for the code!).
- See and hear local talent: The Midland Theater and Weathervane Playhouse offer professional theater and national headliners a stone’s throw away from our front step, including the area’s own Newark-Granville Symphony Orchestra. The Works: Center for History, Arts and Technology in Newark features historical exhibits around the rich industrial history of the area, galleries featuring local artists, and a glass blowing studio where you can see artisans transform molten globs of glass into beautiful creations.
- Relax with some libations: If you like to relax with a glass of wine, a bottle of beer or a classic cocktail, you’ve come to the right place. Sample hundreds of beers from around the world at Brews Cafe. Enjoy a drink at the Acorn Pub at the Granville Inn, sample a tasting at Buckeye Winery in Newark, or take a trip out to The Winery at Otter Creek or Three Oaks Vineyards.
- Stay in: If you don’t feel like going anywhere, you are welcome to treat Orchard House as your home. Sit in front one of the two fireplaces (one indoor, one outside), enjoy one of Andrew’s baked goods, watch DirecTV or Netflix on demand in the den and enjoy complementary coffee, tea and cocoa throughout the day! We hope to surprise and delight you with wine and cheese hours, special seasonal treats and the pleasure of our company, as much or as little as you prefer.